JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

Ive been asssured by you previously that the community standard

I've been asssured by you previously that the community standard for adult gay porn in Texas is codified statewide including my rural county. However, I'm bothered by the fact that some adult sites that you pay to join are prohibited in my zip code as that seems to be a contradiction in terms, specifically to the meaning of community standard. I'd like to know EXACTLY why some sites are restricted in my zip code (Tx 77836) and some aren't as they all offer basically the same thing (nothing kinky and I'm not interested in chat rooms). Also, how do I know that free adult gay blogs are not also prohibited in this zip code? Thanks again.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

The government does not impose such restrictions on the ip addresses and zip codes. What you are seeing is the site owners making a risk prevention decision to limit their materials to locations that are less likely to prosecute them for distributing their product. Every state has a series of obscenity laws that prohibit the manufacture, sale or distribution of materials that are considered "obscene". It is rare that prosecutions are attempted as these laws are problematic in the light of current First Amendment trends.

Here is a link to the relevant Texas authority...

You'll need to scroll down to Subchapter B : Obscenity.

This section will give you the specific codes that exist in Texas about the promotion, production, and possession of obscene materials. As you can see, the definitions are rather vague. More conservative states have definitions that are a bit more demanding that others, which is why some website promoters will make a risk analysis and decide not to allow users in certain jurisdictions.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.