Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
1723468

I had a fight where my girlfriend was minorly injured by accident

I had a fight where my girlfriend was minorly injured by accident and her parents will not see past that and are trying to have us not be together any way possible. My questions is it has been a couple of weeks and me and my girlfriend were at my house the other night when 3 officers showed up to my home asking to check the well being of my girlfriend. I stated she was fine and they ask to come check in on her. While that was happening I was detained on the front porch and she was questioned by a officer who had a recorder. She stated this was due to her parents and this was just a misunderstand and I never laid a hand on her. My question is what should I do next and was this just a scare tactic or are they pressing charges on me and can they do that?
How old are you and your girlfriend?

Has law enforcement said anything about pressing charges?

Thanks

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 21 and Im 29. They stated they were checking on the well being of my girlfriend. After the officer was done questioning her I asked why they came here who called the poilce etc. He started to try and give me a lecture and stated that they were there because she visited a hospital and it was standard procedure. Keep in mind she did go to a hospital becasue her parents made her but that was 2 weeks ago and she never stated anything to how she was bruised. The police never told me my rights and and detained me whikle they questioned her and then said we were free to go back into my home.
Thank you for your reply.

This is just a scare tactic. Unless your girlfriend asked that you be charged with an offense, there is not enough evidence to charge you with domestic violence.

Unless you were subject to interrogation law enforcement is not required to read you your rights.

They can detain you if they reasonably believe you were involved in a crime that has been committed, or you are in the act of commission of an offense or for investigative purposes. A detention is different from an arrest which would require seeing you commit a crime or having an arrest warrant.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So even if her parents hate me and tried to press charges themselves and say they have a photo of her bruise and say anything they want to the police your telling me they cant do anything unless my girlfriend is the one pressing the charges is that correct?
To convict you of a crime, the burden of proof would be on the state to prove by reasonable doubt that you committed a crime. Just the word of her parents is not enough since they did not witness you striking her. The only person would be your girlfriend since she was the alleged "victim". The public can report crimes, but if they did not witness the events, there word alone is not sufficient to serve as evidence.