Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

A Police Officer says they have a warrant for my arrest. It

Customer Question

A Police Officer says they have a warrant for my arrest. It is for petty larceny $17,000.00 that I own Best Buy for. I am incorporated and my business owns this debt. Please tell me what will happen in this case. I have no priors - answer quickly.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JAGUEST-79088457 - I cannot understand why there would be an arrest warrant if this is simply a business debt. In any event, if there really is a warrant outstanding you will need to deal with it before you are arrested. My suggestion would be to contact a local attorney and ask him or her to investigate. If you cannot afford a lawyer you can turn yourself in and ask the court to appoint counsel.

If you wait and are arrested then the court is more likely to set a much higher bail amount than they will if you voluntarily turn yourself in. Since I don't know all the facts I can't comment on why a civil debt would result in criminal charges. I also cannot tell you what will be the end result in any case since there are so many variables. Generally in the case of a first time offender in a non violent crime probation is very likely.

Dave Kennett