LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

I am under investigation for a gross misdemeanor charge. It

I am under investigation for a gross misdemeanor charge. It is my word against the accusor. The police want me to take a polygraph test in order to clear my name. Should I consent to a polygraph test in the state of Washington?
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The straightforward answer is NO! Do not voluntarily submit to a polygraph test unless you are already represented and you have take a couple of tests already to get a feel for them. Get a local defense attorney if you are looking at jail time if you are convicted. Then you can mull over the possibility with him/her.

A polygraph will not exonerate you, but it may guarantee that the charges against you will be prosecuted if there is even a chance at conviction.

Not taking the polygraph can not hurt you in any way.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,