JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

New York can newspapers and PSA announcements on the radio

Customer Question

New York: can newspapers and PSA announcements on the radio continue to provide the name and address of someone who plead guilty to a misdemeanor in 2008 when writing human interest story in the newspaper or when the agency makes a PSA. In both examples the agency is asking for donations because of their continued expenses (I pay retribution through the probation department and am up to date). additionally, the source for the story is reporting that the agency has not received restitution, when I am making payments as mandated by the plea agreement and conditions of probation. However, the radio and newspaper stories that have been running in the recent weeks give my full name and address and state that I am not paying restitution. can I do anything? this is my local paper and every time i interview for a job within a day or two there is another article or PSA about my case, with all my information provided.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

A court case, such as the one you described, is a public record with public information. So, yes, that information can be published in the manner you describe.

If they are publishing incomplete information about the status of your restitution repayments, you can contact them with the correct information and demand a correction. You cannot, however, successfully sue them for the inaccurate publication.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!