Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If the US indicts a UK citizen and applies for their extradition

If the US indicts a UK citizen and applies for their extradition & at the same time that person is being investigated for an unrelated offence in the UK .. what will be the likely outcome of the extradition hearing? Will the hearing be postponed whilst the UK investigation is carried out or will it go ahead anyway?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

What is this for - civil matter? Child support? Or criminal? Can you give me a little background pls.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
criminal indictment (fbi) for wire fraud in the US
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
In indictments, possession is 9/10 of the law. The UK will likely NOT extradite him until his legal matter in the UK is completed. UK is extremely jealous of extraditing persons and will try, convict, and sentence the poor fellow until the US can get a hold of him.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it usual for reporting restrictions to be in place for extradition hearings in fraud cases?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
No, not at all - if the case is ongoing and more personnel are sought, a media blackout is not unusual