LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

1. Please discuss whether you believe background checks and

1. Please discuss whether you believe background checks and polygraphs tests are necessary when considering hiring correction officers.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with corrections experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. I believe that criminal background checks are appropriate and necessary when hiring correctional officers. The government has a very legitimate interest in assuring that those entrusted with protecting the public safety and supervising convicted inmates do possess the requisite moral character and fitness to hold such positions.
  3. I do not believe, however, that polygraph tests are a necessary or efficient means of conducting such pre-employment screening. I take that position based on the documented general unreliablilty of such examinations. Having said that, I could see their usefulness under limited circumstances -- i.e. where an allegation has been made against a correctional officer.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.