J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.

My nephew and a male roomer were in an altercation that escalated

My nephew and a male roomer were in an altercation that escalated to my nephew wielding a 2-foot machete at him and threatening to slice off his neck and hands. My nephew is 40 years old and has a long history of misdemeanors and one felony charge for possession of drugs. He is currently on probation for B&E and arson. He is charged with both 1st and 2nd degree assault. Do you think he will get any jail time? Thanks.
The charges are felonies under Maryland law and carry the maximum sentence of 25 and 10 years respectively. Since he has a prior record, including violent crimes, and was on probation at the time, he is looking at a sentence close to the maximum. I would not surprised if he was sentenced to the maximum and had to serve at least 5-10 years.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.