Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have been charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor Minor Consumption

I have been charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor Minor Consumption in Safford Arizona. This happened in around 1992. I never went to court for it and now I have a Criminal Background. I am trying to clear it up, so they sent me a Waiver of Counsel form and they want me to plead guilty. Plus I have to post bond in the amount of 173 dollars. They also sent me a bond release form and I have to send all of this back to them with my right index fingerprint.
I also have to call them back on Feb 16th for a phone court date.
Its a Minor Consumption a class 1 misdemeanor.
All of this occured back in 1992 or 1993. I was 20 years old. I am now 36 and I live in Texas.
Should I just go with the flow and plead guilty and call in? Whats gonna happen to me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

okay, so let me ask you a few things

in 1992, you were charged? did you ever go to court? was there a warrant for you that you are now trying to clear up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was at a party and the police came and gave me a ticket. I was a kid and I didnt want my parents to know about this so I didnt pay for it (foolish me), I didnt go to court and I eventually left the state after I was done with my schooling in that area. There is a warrant now because I didnt appear in court. It a Failure to Appear Warrant. From speaking with someone over the phone at the courthouse they seem like I will just pay the bond, and the bond will cover the fine and I will be done after the "over the phone" hearing. I am sure this is a common thing that happens, but I am just concerned with what is going to happen at the hearing.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

hi

you don't want the conviction. now, you really should consider consulting with a local attorney who could work to have the warrant quashed and the matter dismissed. i mean, this was 17 years ago and such a minor offense. holy cow. there is no need for you to take a conviction on that. if you follow through with what you were told you will have a record. the only reason the warrant was issued is because you failed to appear. so, if you have since had no convictions and have become a productive citizen you need to have the warrant quashed and dismissed.

if you want, contact the AZ Bar Association for a referral service - this link for contact information

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.