Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney

What is my question Well, my daugther has been in prison for

Customer Question

What is my question? Well, my daugther has been in prison for manslaugther (imperfect self defense). It is very hard on me, my daugther, and her daugther. My daugther is remorseful, just plain sorry that all of this that has happened. What I am trying to do is see if I can get her release early. How do I go about it? I also need to know how to find out if she got her credit from jail.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
If she were represented by the Public Defender, then you should be able to obtain information from them. You can also actually try calling the prison to find out when her release date is currently to see if they'll give it to you directly.

The only way she would be released early is through parole (or possibly if there is overcrowding, and that allows for an early release). Once someone has been sentenced, the only way to get that sentence changed would be through appeal.

What you could do is write a letter to the parole board on her behalf, explaining your situation and writing a declaration on her behalf to ensure she is granted parole at her first hearing.

I hope this information helps--I can only imagine how difficult and painful this period has been for you.