Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

I recently graduated college and moved out of my dorm on December

Customer Question

I recently graduated college and moved out of my dorm on December 31, 09. My room was a suite style and shared a bathroom with another girl, who I didn't know. We shared a bathroom for 1 semester and never got along. Numerous times she complained about me coming in late, using the bathroom too late, being too loud etc., 2 days ago, my door bell rings and it's 3 detectives and 1 officer saying they had a warrant to search my house. My suitemate had reported $18,000+ worth of designer goods as stolen and implemented me as the thief. I let them in and after I denied the allegations, and I asked how they obtained a warrant. The lead detective said he had been by my house before and I didn't answer, but my car was in the driveway and he saw a Louis Vuitton handbag in my car, one that I got as a gift, that was listed on the search warrant as one I stole. After searching my house, they found nothing and only seized MY handbag. I'm not sure what to do. Should I seek out a lawyer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 6 years ago.

What state are you in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

At this point, it is unlikely that you would need an attorney because you haven't been charged with anything yet. If charges are ever forthcoming (which they may not be because it does not sound like there is any real evidence against you), you would then need to either hire an attorney or apply for the public defender.

As for your purse, you can contact the police department to find out if they have a specific document that you need to fill out to request the return of your property. It would help if you have an affidavit from the person who gave it to you swearing that they purchased it and it was a gift, and/or a copy of the receipt. If you are able to show it was not relating to a crime, you should be able to get it back.