Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

How often does a vet get a script for oxycodin in equine?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  HorseSurg replied 7 years ago.

Hi Customer,

There are almost no indications for oxycodin in equine veterinary medicine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. B.

I thought so. I am looking for some answers - those I can not get from those I work with.

Expert:  HorseSurg replied 7 years ago.
The only indications that I can think of are in the area of neonatal foal medicine. If this involves a foal, then it may be normal but otherwise I cannot think of anything else legit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well - are you ready to help me futher on this - it may be a challange?
Expert:  HorseSurg replied 7 years ago.
What is the issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes - I was hired to manage this equine faciltiy - To make a long story short. I started to put DEA regs in place. Started to notice some controlled drugs on the floor. They had no DEA stuff in place. Drug boxes were put in place and I had a set of keys - that only the owners knew about. Mine were stolen. I had one owner that had me order twice the Oxy. I had asked to Who and it was always the same answer a barn with a sick saddle bred. - my intuition was why do the ponies need this. This was the start of other stuff. When I acknowleded this with one of the owners he had no answers. There is more to the story. I was let go after that with NO reason.
Expert:  HorseSurg replied 7 years ago.
From the veterinary medical point of view, there are very few reasons to use oxycodone in horses. This issue sounds more legal than medical at this point though and thus I will refer you to one of the lawyers. Hope they are able to give you some advice or assistance in pursuing this further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you - where do I go next? I Knew about this and am unsure what to do? I need some advice
Expert:  HorseSurg replied 7 years ago.
The question will be referred to one of the lawyers shortly
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

It is against the law to obtain controlled substances by fraud and/or to traffic in controlled substances. If you are asking about this with a view to reporting illegal activity, you could report it to the police or, if you're especially concerned with protecting your own anonymity, you could go directly to the prosecutor's office that services the area where you worked and discuss what you saw with them.

If the prosecutor believes that the scope of these offenses is broad enough that the Federal government should look into this, he will alert the appropriate authorities. If you have any reason to be concerned about your own possible culpability, you could retain a lawyer to come with you when you speak to the prosecutor or to reach out to the prosecutor first and scope out how interested they'd be in your information.

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.

Edited by FranL on 2/2/2010 at 2:32 AM EST
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.