DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
17924466

I dont quite know what category this situation would be .

I don't quite know what category this situation would be . Need information on civil rights. My son and I own a business for 20 years here in Elkhart Indiana. This morning at 4:30 we got a call from my son who informed us 2 police officers asked his name and said they were here to arrest him No explanation, no warrant ,no paperwork. My son asked for some kind proof , did not know if they were legitimate, they wanted him to open the door which was sealed They were getting ready to bust in,so he told them to come to the garage door. they walked all the way up to his bedroom shone flashlight all over. he said I don't do drugs I have no piercings, no Tatoos, What is this about. He was in his shorts they barely let him get dressed. theyhandcuffed him. no explanation. Can Police just force their way in to your home without warrant? Please advice
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, in this case the police did not need a warrant to enter the premises because your son permitted their entry and did not request to see a warrant as a condition of entry. Had your son not opened the door and requested to see a warrant prior to allowing the police entry they could not have arrested him absent a warrant for his arrest.