lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

The state of Illinois has placed a hold on my drivers license

Customer Question

The state of Illinois has placed a hold on my driver's license from Texas because of a DUI from 1984 that we took care of in 1994. I have renewed my Texas driver's license twice since then. They sent us a letter in 1994 that said the cased was closed, and to reinstate my Ill. driver's license I needed to contact them. I was living in Texas and couldn't hold a license from another state. Now in 2010 I can't get my Tx. license renewed because Ill. has a hold on it. Can you give me some solutions to this problem
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
The way it works is that you have to have your right to drive reinstated even though you do not have a drivers license in that state. You are going to have to follow the procedures required by Illinois, that is your only solution. You may be able to have an Illinois attorney get it lifted since it is so old but you will need to contact a traffic attorney in that state for assistance. Unfortunately there is no other solution.