How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a sample copy of an early termination letter for probation,

Resolved Question:

I need a sample copy of an early termination letter for probation, I have completed 1 and half years of my probation. I have fullfilled all my obligations. I need to write a letter to the Judge requesting for early termination
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

I'm a Florida criminal defense attorney and I've handled many early termination of probation cases.


So you know, its not a letter you need but a motion. It would be titled Motion for Early Termination of Probation. While I don't have your specific facts and can't write the motion, I can provide a template for you.


If you have any pleadings from your case; the charging document, motions filed by your attorney, the discovery document provided by the state attorney; they will have the "style" or heading for the case....use that at the top of the motion.


The motion would state the following:

  • On whatever date, placed on probation for whatever offenses for 3 years. Conditions of probation included A, B and C.
  • As of this date, all terms and conditions of probation have been fully satisfied.
  • There have been no violations of probation or allegations of violations of probation.
  • At least 1/2 of the term of probation has been completed.
  • At this time, there is no legitimate need to keep the defendant on probation.

Obviously, you need to fill in the specific facts of your case. Keep in mind, as a person representing yourself, you do not need to be perfect, you just need to make it clear what you're trying to accomplish.


Once the motion is drafted, file it with the clerk of court and send copies to the state attorney and your probation officer. Next, contact the judge's assistant and request a hearing on your motion.


Assuming everything I stated above is accurate, it is quite likely the judge will grant the relief you're requesting.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
To contact the judge's assistant and request a hearing I need to send a letter as thay request me.
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

That would be highly unlikely, however, it is certainly possible that the assigned judge does things a bit more informally than the norm. My suggestion would be to call the judicial assistant (JA) tomorrow morning. Tell her you're a bit confused because you've been told that the judge wants a letter but you believe a motion would be the normal way of doing things.


With this in mind, ask the JA what her judge requires. If she says it's a motion, then draft it as I detailed above. If it's a letter, then simply write the letter in your own words being certain to outline all the issues I detailed above.


Again, you shouldn't get too worried about any specific format. I can assure you that judges do NOT expect non-lawyers to draft perfect documents. Just write it from the heart and you'll be just fine.


Joseph and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you