Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

WHAT IS THE AVERAGE SENTENCE FOR FIRST TIME OFENCE GRAND LARCENY,

Customer Question

WHAT IS THE AVERAGE SENTENCE FOR FIRST TIME OFENCE GRAND LARCENY, IN ILLINOIS, FOR THEFT OF 26,500 CASH?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Customer

In general, complainants on theft offenses want their money back. A person in jail won't be able to make restitution to the victim as quickly and efficiently as a person on the outside. That is why the usual offer for a first time grand larceny will likely be probation. Whether or not the plea bargain will also allow a defendant to get into a diversion type program and keep his record clean, however, is another matter. As theft offenses make prospective employers more nervous than some other kinds, this is something also to be taken into consideraton.

To the extent that you can, you should make sure your family member has a lawyer. If he is unable to afford private counsel, he should let the judge know he is indigent and ask for a free court-appointed attorney.

._____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Family member not indigent and has plenty of money. Just being a crazy bitch. I either want my money or want her thrown in jail.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Got the point! It's a lot of money. I'd want it too, as quickly as I can get it.

If you haven't already done this, you should make your feelings known to the DA who is handling your case. He should always be willing to talk to you about it because he's pressed the charges on your behalf.

A prosecutor has complete charge of his case and doesn't have to offer the deal you'd most like, bu he will always take your wishes into consideration.

._____

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You still haven't told me the amount of time she can be threatened with. She's a Narcasist. She needs to be afraid or she is not going to budge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry if I have already submitted this comment-- my computer just did a complete reboot on my.

You still haven't told me what kind of time she could do for the offense. I need to know if she might, indeed be scared. She doesn't scare easily, having a God complex. I'm just hoping the serious chance of jail might actually get her to pay me.

Thanks for you help-- I think.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

Just came back from walkng the dogs. I just saw your note. I didn't give you the minimum or maximum for the offense because I thought you were investigating what would happen to the average first offender with a case like this.

Give me a minute to thaw out and find the penalties.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Okay,

I'm linking you to the Illinois Theft Statute. (720 ILCS 5, Section 16-1)

As you can see theft of money or property in excess of $10,000 but not more than $100,000 in value is a Class 2 felony in Illinois.

The penalty would be 3-7 years of imprisonment, restitution, and a fine of up to $200,000.

._____

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now that's what I call motivation! Thanks.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
I thought you'd like it!

Good luck, and thanks for the accept.