JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

i accenditly wrote a check from a closed account the check

Customer Question

i accenditly wrote a check from a closed account the check books look the same and i did it on accident this was to a friend now hes threatening me with legal action is there anything he has to do before they will issue a warrant for my arrest? like any steps he must go through its been 2 weeks and i dont have the money yet? If given a few more days i will have it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

He needs to go to the police and file a report.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but i mean does he have to send me written notice or proof the check was returned or anything?
No, not when he's seeking criminal charges.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so i have no grace period or time to pay it even though in NC there is the worthless check program?
That is correct. He can go to the police and file the report. The police can conduct their investigation and submit the file to the prosecutor for charges to be authorized.