DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

A distant relative threatened to kill my husband. Apparently

A distant relative threatened to kill my husband. Apparently he bragged that he has the means and connections to accomplish this. We live in Massachusetts and he lives in Colorado. How are we to proceed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am sorry to hear about this threat against your husband. You now need to notify the Colorado state's attorney and the Massachusetts district attorney for your county. You notify your DA to discuss placing a restraining order against the distant relative such that he cannot come within a predertimined distance from your husband or have any contact with him.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thought about this, but if we get a restraining order he might get even angrier and truly put his plan into action. He does seem to have serious mental problems.
I understand, but unless he acts on his plan this is all that can be done in Mass. Bear in mind that by making the threat he may have already committed the crime of assault.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If he has already committed the crime of assault (by making the death threat), can he not be prosecuted for that crime?
Yes, he would be prosecuted in Colorado.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Last question: he brags that he knows people who would commit the crime for him, so how will a restraining order help us?

As a practical matter it would provide him with notice that the police are aware of his threats and will look at him as a primary suspect should anything happen to your husband.