JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My fiancee has been in jail for the last 23 days pending his

My fiancee has been in jail for the last 23 days pending his sentencing. He is charged with a class D felony in the state of NY. They refused him bail due to the fact he has priors. The store's lawyers sent me a settlement offer and I payed it. His lawyer seems to feel he will get 6 months in county and 5 years probation. She has yet to talk to me even though my fiancee instructed her to. Does her estimation seem reasonable?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Your finance's attorney has no legal or ethical obligation to speak with you (or anyone else about hise case).

If she estimates six months' jail with five years' probation, that is probably based upon a plea agreement that she worked out with the prosecutor.

There is nothing unreasonable with that estimation.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!