How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two detectives came to my house on Jan 1 @ 345 in the morning

Resolved Question:

Two detectives came to my house on Jan 1 @ 345 in the morning to question me. But i was not home at that time. When my boyfriend called the next morning the dipatch person said that it was note as locating suspect on felony charges. So my question is what should i do ? Do i go there with an attorney or just go answer their questions with out an attorney?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- The most important thing I can tell you is that you should NOT answer any questions unless you first have a lawyer. I don't care what anyone tells or promises you do not talk to the police or anyone else regardless of whether you have or have not committed any crimes. I am very serious about this.


If you can afford an attorney I would get one immediately and let him or her contact the police. If you cannot afford an attorney you can contact the police but only to find out if they really want to question you. At that point, if there is no warrant for your arrest you can tell them that you will not talk unless you have a lawyer.


If there is a warrant you will have to turn yourself in so you don't acquire additional charges of fleeing to avoid prosecution etc but you still should not say anything until you have a lawyer. If you are arrested then the court will appoint an attorney. The absolute worst thing you can do is to talk to the police before getting an attorney.


Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so i would i go about finding an attorney for this kind of charge ? i dont make alot of money to be able to afford one
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

First of all you need to find out if there is actually a charge or if they just want to question you. If there are no charges filed all you have to do is tell the police you will not talk about the case without an attorney. You don't actually have to have an attorney to tell them that.


The court will only appoint counsel once charges have been filed. If you can't afford an attorney you will have to wait until you are charged in order to get free legal help. If you think you can afford an attorney you can contact a criminal lawyer in your area. The local Bar Association can provide attorney referrals if you know of no attorneys. Just remember no to answer any questions regarding the case.



Dave Kennett and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you