Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I was arrested for domestic violence and charged with 3 separate

I was arrested for domestic violence and charged with 3 separate midemeanors. I do not know if my domestic partner(wife) is going to pursue charges. I do not have a criminal record until now and do not have any history of this behavior. I am worried that because I am a Resident Alien I could be deported, what do you think? I was arrested in New York City

Thank you for your question.

It will not be your wife's choice whether charges will be pursued. It will be the decision of the prosecutor whether or not charges will be dropped. Your wife can assist by contacting the prosecutor and requesting that the charges be dropped and/or by not testifying against you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about my status as a resident alien, is it in jeopardy?
it is possible but very unlikely
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I go about getting the files in my case? What kind of lawyer should I look for should this case go forward?
you will want to contact a criminal attorney. You can request a copy of the files from the prosecutor