Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Can I file a charge or complaint about ia guy who contacts

Customer Question

Can I file a charge or complaint about ia guy who contacts me incestantly online? I have blocked his e-mail address and has found meet (and I refuse to meet him in person). We were semi-friendly for a while, but I told him not to calk me ever again, or I will call the police. On dec.2 my guysaid he would leave via rhreads and forume alone. He lied. He finds me on every site and I block him. However my curren t dating has public forums and he makes ongoing public remaers. I don't respond or institgate, just ignote. Can i hilr wiyj yesy abd the ////////////cae
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Yes. You need to call the police non-emergency line and file a complaint. Have print outs to back you up. They will investigate and may file charges against him if his behavior warrants it. It'll be helpful if you knew what town he lived in - do you? If not, where do you live - I'll provide you with the police non emergency number to call.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He never threatened to harm me, but I made it clear that I'm not interested. He has been carrying on with his behavior for about 2 years. We never met in person, and actually I think part of the reason he carries on is because I go on a ton of dates, but ALWAYS turn HIM down. I know what town he lives in, his personal e-mail address, and phone number. He knows my town but not my street address, so I do not fear him showing up at my house. I have flagged his profile at least 5 times, which the website will remove, but soon enough he simply creates a new profile with a new screenname and the cycle starts again. We live in NY. Would he be charged with harrasment or public menacing (being that he sends messages through public discussion threads for all to see)?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
He might be, yes...it depends on what he wrote. I can't speak for the DA...where's the area that he lives in, or the borough?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We live on Long Island, him living in Nassau County and I live in Suffolk County.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Call this number and ask to file a report:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think this is harrasment or public menacing?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
I think so. You lose nothing by filing a complaint. You never know - you may be the 5th or 15th person doing so. They won't take it lightly, and it won't backfire on you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know I have nothing to lose, but in the past I have filed complaints against guys who would not back off. All the police do, in most cases, is take my complaint, but the police don't intervene. I even had an NYPD cop sending me unsoliced text messages that were initially sexual, and then became beligerent. I spoke to a captain and lieutenant of Internal Affairs, and even went down to IAB to show a detective his texts. I was dissatisfied at how they did NOT take swifter and more serious actions against him. So in my own experience, I'd have to say I wind up dissatisfied because all I usually get is a copy of a complaint, and I'm told to come back to the precinct to file another complaint if it continues.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry. It may be a regional thing, I mean, c'mon - these are NEW YORK COPS. They will take a bullet for you, but then they'll make a sexist remark. LOLIf the local police don't help you, try the FBI at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's not like this is an isolated incident on ONE site. Though I do not use my real name on Twitter, somehow he found me! When he was friendly towards me, we were Facebook friends, but once he started writing disparaging remarks on my wall, I blocked him, as well as a number of dating sites where I also blocked him. As far as dating site chat rooms, there is no block feature. And on the current site that I'm active on, thoughI've blocked him from contacting me directly, the site does not block members in discussion threads. In short, I'm not fearful of bodily harm, but if I log on, I find that I can't even enjoy my time on the website because I'm ferociously busy reporting him to the site and file user complaints. There is NO REASON I should have to stop using the site because of HIS inappropriate behavior!
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Local police at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Or FBI at FBI at(NNN) NNN-NNNNYou may also hire a private attorney to get an injunction from him seeing you. I can recommend one in your area if you'd like.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He wants to meet me, but I have always refused to go on a date with him. Like he is infatuated. I have made it clear that I want NOTHING to do with him. The last time he called me (8 months or so) I told him never to call me again otherwise I will call the police. He never called again. In the interrim, I also had Verizon block his number so he can NEVER call me. It's rediculous that get unwanted contact via chat rooms or discussion formus because my quality of life suffers because I'm flagging his forum posts, filing complaints with sites, etc. instead of chatting to site users that are NICE, who I WANT to chat with, I'm doing damage control.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Ma'am, I understand this. Like I said - Local police at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Or FBI at FBI at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

You may also hire a private attorney to get an injunction from him seeing you. I can recommend one in your area if you'd like.