Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

what are the statutory rape laws for CT and FL specifically

what are the statutory rape laws for CT and FL?
specifically how old must a girl be?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
The age of consent in Connecticut is 16. That means that Connnecticut considers a 16 year old girl old enough to decide for herself whether or not to have sex with someone. In Florida, the age of consent is 18 if you are 24 or older.

What that means is that you could have sex with a 16 year old in Connecticut without having to worry about statutory rape, but if you are at least 24 and took the same girl to Florida and slept with her there, you could still be prosecuted. It would not matter if her permanent residence was Connecticut. It's the state where the sex happens that controls whether the law has been broken or not.

The Connecticut statutory rape laws are § 53a-70 (a)(2)and § 53a-71 (a)(1)

The Florida law is § 794. 05
________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Fran:
do you mean that if an 18 yr old has sex with a 16 yr old it is okay because you have to be 24 inorder to call it statutory rape in FL?

In CT, I read something that if you have sex with someone 2 or more years younger than you, you being older that 18, it is S.rape?

do I have that right?
Customer
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you have it right. If you are under 24, you can have sex with a 16 year old or a 17 year old in Florida (That should be somewhere in the statute I linked you to). If you are 24 or older, she's got to be 18. Florida is one of those states that have a close-in-age exception to their statutory rape law.

._____