Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  I have represented individuals accused of crimes.

Hello .I need some advice in dealing with a misdemeanor petty

Hello .I need some advice in dealing with a misdemeanor petty theft charge in California. Some questions I need answers to are: How do I contact the stores legal representatives to try to get the charges dropped? If I can get them dropped, will I still be tried? Where can I read up more on this so I can figure out my options?

Heres the scenario...

I was caught caught shoplifting from a sephora mall store. I was caught with makeup priced at $180. The security guard (undercover) detained me until the police arrived. I was cuffed, arrested, booked and spent 7 hours in jail. I was released after and given citations informing when and where to appear in court. We both have the same case number. I was very cooperative with the security guard, who took me a picture and i admit to shoplifting. Olso they have me taped in camera.
I live in Mexico, and I will be back at court in 1 month. Since this is my first offense i'ts o.k. to declare myself guilty ? I want to be able to keep my visa.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...
You will be charged and the DA decides if charges are dropped. It is doubtful that charges will be dropped. If you plead no contest, you will be sentenced to probation and restitution. You will also be forced to pay court fines. Expect this to be about $500 to $1,000. Sephora will then send you a demand letter and you are responsible for a civil fine to them ranging between $200 and $1,000. You can negotiate this with them.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.