Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
11056146

Descibe what charge pcm 484 is. Thanks

Customer Question

Descibe what charge pcm 484 is. Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Can you give me a little more information on this? Did you receive a ticket? Are you being summonsed to court for a civil or criminal charge?

Because California has their code sections split into various areas of the law and under various titles so this charge could be any number of things depending upon the circumstances.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PC M484(A) defraud prop of another.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its not me, my friend is already doing 6mo for it, just wanted to know details. And what is "To run concurrent"? He had a prior petty theft.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Never got a response.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 4 years ago.
Hello rongreeb and welcome to JustAnswer. I see that Mary Meaden is offline and you have been waiting some time, so I will help out here.

In California, Penal Code section 484, subdivision (a), defines theft, which can be either a felony or a misdemeanor, depending of the exact circumstances. The "M" designation means that your friend was charged with a misdemeanor theft and "defraud" means that it was done by fraud, rather than physical theft (such as shoplifting).

The notation that his time was "to run concurrent" means that he was actually sentenced on two different cases and the court ordered the sentences to run together, so he is serving his sentences on both at the same time. This is better for him than having them run consecutively, which would mean he'd have to finish one, then start serving the other.

Since he had a prior petty theft, I would guess that he was on probation for the prior and was sentenced on that case in addition to the new one, with the sentences on each ordered to run concurrently.

The typical county jail sentence provides conduct and work credits of 2 days for every 4 days served, which would mean he will actually do 4 months on a 6 month sentence. Depending on what county he is in and what alternatives are available, he may be eligible for an earlier release. He can find out about that from the jail authorities where he is serving his time.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.