lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

i was arrested from shoplifting and it was a 3rd degree. (NJ) however,

Customer Question

i was arrested from shoplifting and it was a 3rd degree. (NJ)
however, I came home with summons and my court date is jan. 4th.
it was my first time and no record of being arrested. I have a very clean record with good school, prestige young lady. police officer said that since it's my first offense i will probably get a probation.
but while i was researching online, for 3rd degree shoplifting, i can get 3-5 years in prison.
if i get 3-5 years, can I still fight with my lawyer and try to win?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Here you should consider retaining an attorney. Since this is your first offense he should be able to negotiate pretrial intervention where you will pay a fine and do community service but the charges will be dropped. On Monday you can ask the prosecutor about it yourself. If they do not offer it you need to enter a plea of not guilty and ask for a trial. That will give you time to retain the attorney.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am meeting a lawyer tomorrow for a consultation.
I can't sleep because I'm so scared that I might go to jail.
I am going to a grad school (yale) this coming sept.

and when I was at Saks security office, 3 men were questioning me and I was so scared.
When a guy from those 3 kept on saying that it's not my first time and i better cooperate,I was so scared and said that it was my second time and i stole a wallet last week. (which is not true but I was so dumb and stupid that I thought I have to give him the answer that he wanted in order for him to just let me go.)

I know tomorrow once I meet up with a lawyer, I will get an answer but I also want to know if there is a chance that I can say that I just said it because I was so scared.

Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
You can say that but the problem is that you have admitted to another crime. You need to tell your attoreny and let him handle it.