Lawdoctor
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience:  Practiced criminal law in several states over a 22 year period, from misdemeanors to Death Penalty.
14932443

Im seeking advice for my husband, who has an open bench warrant

I'm seeking advice for my husband, who has an open bench warrant from 2002 for violation of probation (theft less than $500) from Maryland. What would the process be of having this removed? Obviously, it's been about 8 years and it's a rather small charge.

One of the main concerns is that we live out of state and are in graduate school. Would it be uncommon for an attorney to represent him, instead of having to appear himself? Do you think he's at risk for having to do any jail time?

Please let me know how to proceed and what to expect - i.e. if it's possible to have someone represent from out of state, etc.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer:

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

You are correct that this needs to be taken care of and soon. If he gets pulled over he could go to jail with no bond until he is extradited.

You should hire an attorney to handle this in the town or city where the warrant was issued. They can negotiate a resolution before he comes back to town, but more than likely he will have to appear before the Judge, but you can request that your attorney try to get everything lined up where you only have to go once.

If you do not know any attorneys there, you can get a referral from the Maryland Bar Association or the county bar association where the warrant is.

Here is the Link for Maryland State Bar:

http://www.msba.org/

I wish you the very best and Happy New Year.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be offline. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much! I do just have one thing that I wanted clarification on. Since this is such an old warrant, do you think it's something that they would likely give him jail time over? Or do you think we would be lucky enough to only pay a fine?
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 4 years ago.
You never know. It would depend on what it was for and if the judge is a stickler. More than likely it will be a fine and may be some community service with a class or program that he has to complete.

If he has been pulled over and not gone to jail, that is a good indication of how serious they take it. Like you said it is old and not for anything serious, but he needs to be contrite and humble...... throw himself upon the mercy of the Court, he did not know and did not mean to be disrespectful to the Court..... you get the picture.

It should be fine, but you do want to get it finalized.

I wish you the best and Happy New Year!

Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience: Practiced criminal law in several states over a 22 year period, from misdemeanors to Death Penalty.