Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  I have represented individuals accused of crimes.
12106879

I am an Arkansas landlord and resident. I had a camper left

Customer Question

I am an Arkansas landlord and resident. I had a camper left behind on a lot I own. The camper has been sitting for 6 months and no payments were ever made for the lot rent. Another family claimed ownership of the camper durring that time and were living in another trailer. They had set the camper up while they got the mobile home set-up to live in. They did pay $20 for the first week the camper was there in June but did not have any more money to pay for the extra lot rent once they moved. I demanded the camper to be removed from the property several times but these requests were ignored. They did pay the lot rent for the mobile home until the first of Dec. They then left the home and took a lot of the personal belongings. Dec 14 I left notice on the door of the trailer and the camper. On Dec 24 2009 i then secured the camper as abandoned property and placed it in storage. i have now been contacted by the Sherrif's office that I will charged with theft if i dont return the camper.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
What specifically do you want to know?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to know if there is any criminal reason that I am responsable for theft under Arkansas law. I want to collect what I am owed or sell the camper for the storage and expenses. The county assessor has assessed the camper on my property and the fire district has assesed fire protection for the camper as well. I want to cover these expenses and money due to me. Can I ignore the sheriff's threats?
I will send you to our criminal section for criminal implications, if any.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

You can face criminal liability. You need to follow the formal eviction proceedings in Arkansas. Once you do that, you can secure the camper and then sell it to cover your costs.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did follow the correct eviction procedures for the state of Arkansas, however the sheriff's office sent 5 cars& deputies out to arrest me. I provided all the eviction paperwork, affidavit of repossession, and liens filed with the state for the camper. I was still threatened with arrest and the deputies secured the camper and gave it to a third party. My paperwork was confiscated as "evidence of fraud" and they left.