lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

my 21 year old daughter got a ticket on sept 9th in lampasas

Customer Question

my 21 year old daughter got a ticket on sept 9th in lampasas texas for no inspection & registration....she thought it was a warning...she recieved a call last week from a collection agency stating that she owed the lampasas municiple court 1614.00 and that there are 2 warrants for failure to appear. Lampasas does not send out any kind of notice, the initial citation is the only documentation you ever recieve. She called to set up a payment plan but was denied...if she wants to see the judge she has to send in a 3229.00 surety bond. She then sent in a letter with a "not guilty plea" and requested a jury trial, she did recieve a notice at that point and the court stated that they would need the surety bond before she could see the judge....what should she do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
The tickets are clear and there is no way to confuse it with a warning. In addition if she has two warrants for failure to appear they did send out a notice, otherwise there would only be one. It is possible that she did not receive it if she had moved. Her drivers license is probably suspended. She can call the DMV and find out. Here her best option is to retain a local attorney and let him see if he can work something out with the court even if she has to borrow the money. She will have to show that she corrected the inspection and registration.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they never sent her a notice and the municapal court said, they do not send out notices..and they gave her 2 warrants for a failure to appear one for no registration and one for the no inspection...she corrected the issue but not within 20 days.
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
I understand but my response remains the same. She can retain an attorney or post bond. Ohterwise she is subject to being arrested at any time.