Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Can I lay criminal charges against my mother because of the

Can I lay criminal charges against my mother because of the following;

1-When I was about 11 years of age-She witnessed her husband touching me in a way that she felt was inappropiate-She told him not to touch me like that again, but she didn't remove me from a threatening situation.

2-Her husband sexually abused me from my age of 9 years old up until 14 years of age-Can I lay criminal charges against her for failing to protect me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
No, you can bring charges against her husband. Just failing to remove you is not grounds to charge her, but you have grounds to charge the husband.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”