Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My sister and her husband moved in with his mother in 1988--following

My sister and her husband moved in with his mother in 1988--following the birth of their child, they were married in Ohio (but still lived with his mother in Michigan).

Earlier this year, my brother in law dropped my sister off at her job and drove to Ohio to get married to another woman. (He lied to the court and advised them his prior marriage ended in divorce so they were subsequently married.) After my sister got off work, he picked her up and she never knew anything until a marriage license arrived in the mail.

We are able to obtain a copy of both marriage licenses but we don't know how to proceed further in having him charged with Bigamy and Perjury (for lying to the Ohio court). We also don't know where to report it--they are all Michigan residents who travelled to OHIO. (I also understand Bigamy in Michigan is a felony but a misdemeanor in Ohio.)

My brother in law is living about 2 hours from the Detroit metro area and they probably will not send someone to go get him
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

your sister can contact the district attorney in her county in Michigan. the DA will consult with the DA in Ohio and make a determination as to how he should be charged. it is a crime and only the district attorney can file the charges.