lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

I am currently attending a college at a big ten university.

Customer Question

I am currently attending a college at a big ten university. There is an individual who was caught by authorities with a small amount of marijuana. The individual is now cooperating with authorities by acting as a confidential informant. He has told me all of this information of working with the police and sting operations he has commited with authorites. i have gotten this individual marijuana on multiple occasion. Everytime i have done this he gives me the money first and i call a local dealer. I then go to get the marijuanana and bring it back to him. In return he ussually smokes the entire bag with me. I am wondering if i have been setup and if i can trust my so called "friend? Does the transaction have to be hand-to hand? I have never been holding the drugs on me to do the transaction and always get the money first than go make the buy. I am only simply a middle man. Do the authorities have sufficent evidence to arrest me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.

They are interested in the dealers. Here I doubt that you will be arrested or charged or he would not have told you about being a CI. Simply having the drugs is a crime. If you were involved in multiple deals with multiple partys then you could be charged with trafficking. It is not unusual after the initial arrest for the police to come back in about six months and set up to try and catch him again. Now that he is on their radar I would avoid any involvment with drugs since you may also be on their radar.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

does the deal have to be hand to hand? since i got the money then went out and searched for drugs wouldn't that be grounds for entrapment?

Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
It is not grounds for entrapment and it does not have to be hand to hand. Follow my advice.