N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

if you were araigned on a charge and bonded out of jail while

Customer Question

if you were araigned on a charge and bonded out of jail while on bond can an inditement be served to you with different charges for the same case. i was araigned on aggrevated assault made bond while on bond was given an inditement for diffrent charges. the new charges are in higher range, but was offered a plea deal on aggrevated assault if i do not go to trial. should i take the deal or go to trial. although charges in inditement was of a higher range my bond stayed the same
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 4 years ago.
Do you have an attorney representing you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was arrested for aggrivated assault, stayed in jail close to six months,i was taken to court to be arraigned on agg. ass. charge . my court date was put off for two weeks, finally my PD sent me a letter saying that he was filing for a 48b motion. but when we got to court i was araigned on the agg. ass. charge. two days later i made bond while out on bond for about two weeks i was picked up for a unrelated charge.was given a court date which i thought was for the new case. at court my PD for the agg. ass. case .shows me an inditement for different charges.if i had not been in jail he would not have known i made bond.and i would have known nothing about the inditement. i dont feel comfortable with the leadership of my PD on this case. this case has been going on for one year and eight months.it was set for trial in aug.09 my PD put it off for another 6 months.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is your reply
If you do not trust your lawyer you have to ask for a different one. If there has been a beakdown of communication between you and the attorney you can ask the Court to appoint a different attorney.
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience: Since 1983
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my trial is in two weeks can i still ask for another lawyer? what about the araignment

Edited by Customer on 1/1/2010 at 1:39 PM EST
You will have to convince the Court that you are not oding this just to delay the trial. If there is a breakdown in the attorney client relationship you have to ask for a new lawyer as quickly as possible. You can call the PDs office and tell them that is what you want to do and see if the PD's office will cooperate.