Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

Is it illegal to lie about your income on a car loan application.

Is it illegal to lie about your income on a car loan application. My husband is having an affair with his boss, whom he works for as a "subcontractor." He recently purchased a new truck even though we are deep in debt. I found an email he sent to his "boss" saying that he claimed he made $35,000 per year from her, which is a complete lie. He has only made about 20,000 at most. She responded in an email that she "had his back" if they called. Is this fraud and is it somethign that I can use to my advantage. Should I wait and see if he claims to have made $35,000 when he files his taxes?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- It is illegal to lie on any loan application so you can report this to the lender if you wish. If you file joint tax returns I would presume that you have a copy of last year's filing that you could send to the lender as proof. Whether or not this would help you in a divorce action I have no idea. The fact that he committed fraud in obtaining a loan could cause him some problems but I can't see how it would work to your advantage other than to show that he can't be trusted.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something that he could face any type of criminal charges for?

Maybe, depending on what the lender wanted to do. Usually all they care about is selling cars so it's not like a home mortgage.

Dave