xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work

What are the cut off levels for thc for a court ordered drug

What are the cut off levels for thc for a court ordered drug test in Indiana
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using

Have you been tested yet? If so, what level of THC, if any, did you have?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i have not just want to know the cut offs in my county.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

The standard THC test is a one step rapid, qualitative immunoassay for the detection of tetrahydrocannabinol compounds (9-carboxy-THC) in urine. The cutoff concentration recommended by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA/NIDA) for a positive result in an immunoassay test is 50 ng/ml. The cutoff for GC-MS is generally 15 ng/ml.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, these departments use samhsa guidelines. I haerd there was a 20ng cut off at some sites.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

The standard THC test cutoff for GC-MS is generally 15 ng/ml.

It is highly unlikely that court ordered testing sites are going to use 20 ng/ml cut off. Further, court ordered testing usually requires that you either go to a specific site or to a specific lab company who has more than one site.

The initial screening cutoff level is 50 ng/ml. The GC/MS cutoff level is 15 ng/ml. The elimination half-life of marijuana ranges from 14-38 hours. At the initial cutoff of 50 ng/ml, the daily user will remain positive for perhaps 7 to 30 days after cessation. At the confirmation level of 15 ng/ml, the frequent user will be positive for perhaps as long as 15 weeks. Marijuana metabolites' storage and slow release from lipid tissues is the reason for this long detection period.

That is why the court is most likely going to use a site that uses the 15ng/ml level.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If one passes the imunoassay, is that the end of the testing or is confirmed as well?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

That is usually the end of the testing, unless the finding is NOT favorable to you. You can ask to have the finding confirmed.