Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am a teacher and I am relocating therefore I am going to

I am a teacher and I am relocating therefore I am going to be applying for a new teaching job. My record has recently been expunged. I just got my Act 34 clearance back and it showed that I have no criminal record. However, I am concerned about the Federal Criminal History Background check (Act 114) because I have to get fingerprinted and they send the results directly to the PDE (PA Department of Education). I am concerned that it will show up on the fingerprint test. Is there a way I can get fingerprinted to see if anything shows up before I get the Federal Criminal History Background check done?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Yes, you can get yourself fingerprinted and and make a request for your RAP sheet from the FBI. They will charge you $18 to do this. You can read about making a record request here on the FBI's site. This will tell you how to go about getting this done and link you to all you need.

_____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So what you are saying is that I can get fingerprinted and it won't go to the PA. Department of Education? Meaning...the request for my RAP sheet from the FBI is not the same thing as the Federal Criminal History Background Check (Act 114) fingerprinting that I have to do for the school districts? Simply, I can get a fingerprint test to test the expungment before doing the ACT 114 test?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Yes, you can test your expungement. Every citizen of this country has the right to see what's on his own criminal record. The FBI has the national data base, state and Federal. Obviously if you requested your record from Harrisburg, your offense should not turn up, because it's been expunged. The most reliable way to test it from outside of Pennsylvania would be for you to apply through the FBI, as I indicated.

If Pennsylvania thinks you've no longer committed a crime, the Feds should honor that. You'll find out if they do.

_____

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.