JPEsq.
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor
14397910

My soon to be ex-husband was spying on my computer (laptop

My soon to be ex-husband was spying on my computer (laptop that I use for home and work) with spy software using his friend's home computer..then took an email I wrote to someone else that implicated me in an affair and sent it to my PHD adviser (who also happens to be the adviser of the man I was seeing) trying to get us into trouble and sent it out to all of my friends. As of late he has been sending harrassing emails to me, my friend, my friend's wife through his work computer and his work email...how can I get this to stop? Do I have any legal rights here?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.

While nothing he has done is illegal, in and of itself, the totality of all the messages could easily be construed as harrassment or stalking.

Most States allow you to get a restraining order against stalking and harassment, but Connecticut has no such provision.

However, harrassment is illegal. Here is the law in CT: http://crime.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=crime&cdn=newsissues&tm=7&gps=46_186_1295_862&f=00&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.ncvc.org/src/main.aspx%3FdbID%3DDB_Connecticut195

in relevant part it reads: "...with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, he communicates with a person by telegraph or mail, by electronically transmitting a facsimile through connection with a telephone network, by computer network, as defined in section 53a-250, or by any other form of written communication, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm; or (3) with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, he makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm."

So call the police.