A.S.B., Esq.
A.S.B., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  I am an Assistant District Attorney, and former criminal defense attorney.

I am wondering if an anonymous tip is given to the police that

Customer Question

I am wondering if an anonymous tip is given to the police that someone is providing hard drugs to a minor. Can this information allow the police to enter this person's property and convict the individual of the crime in question. I am wondering if an anonymous tip is enough to stop this horrible crime.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  A.S.B., Esq. replied 6 years ago.

First and foremost, thank you for choosing I am a licensed criminal defense attorney, former Assistant District Attorney, and member of the American Bar Association.

An anonymous tip would be a step in the right direction; however, an anonymous tip alone would not lend sufficient probable cause to execute a search warrant. The story changes, however, if the anonymous tip is backed up with other indicia of reliablity. For instance, if the anonymous tip corroborated some other actions by the individual. For example, the anonymous tip would provide sufficient probable cause for a search warrant if the anonymous tip said the individual in question gives this minor drugs immediately after buying them and the individual buys them in the minors presense, and the information leads the police to witnessing such an act.

The short answer to your question is that an anonymous tip would be a good start if the police found it to be credible, but an anonymous tip, by itself, is not enough to secure a search warrant or conviction. A tip from an individual who is willing to reveal their identitiy and how they know the crime is occurring would lead to much faster results.

I hope this helps. Please, click "Accept" if you found my answer helpful so I may be credited for my response. Do not hesitate to contact me via with any further questions or concerns. Thank you and good luck!!