Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

i answered a craigslist ad and the person and i chatted for

Customer Question

i answered a craigslist ad and the person and i chatted for a few days and when i went to meet him he asked if id bring weed , I did he was a cop. that legal in ohio?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

Sting operations are legal. I assume you were arrested, and the case against you will be prosecuted. However, you may have an entrapment defense. An entrapment defense is an affirmative defense that you could put forward if you wanted to try this case. You would have to prove by the preponderance of the evidence that the officer induced you -- an innocent party -- into engaging into the kind of behavior you would ordinarily not engage in.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.