N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

i was a target for investigation by the fBI in 2004, but

i was a target for investigation by the
fBI in 2004, but was nevered formally charged. i told them all i knew (Medicare fraud) and admitted my guilt has been over 5 years of sleepless nights and shame, i just want to start my life again. get this over with! my attorney said there is no statue of limitations if u were never convicted..what can i do??
There is a 5 year statute of limitation on most federal felonies, see
has all the federal criminal statutes of limitation.

If it has been over 5 years you probably cannot be prosecuted at this late date.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my attorney said they Never Formally charged me. So you still think they may not pursue? They (Feds) told my attorney Nov. '04 that i was a target of their investigation. But they NEVER charged me. I went to their office and told them Everything i knew. It was 100% accurate info, no punches pulled, no fabrications.

Florida is backed up with these kind of cases. I just want to know if there is a cut-off limit of time , or can they take 10 years if they want? its been over 5 years already!

As I said, if they did not charge you within 5 years they cannot charge you now, and if they try, you have a complete defense based on the statute of limitations. Another expert posted a note here that he agrees with that analysis.

If they never formally charged you, they cannot do so now. The statute I referred to from Title 18 of the US Code states:

§ 3282. Offenses not capital

(a) In General.— Except as otherwise expressly provided by law, no person shall be prosecuted, tried, or punished for any offense, not capital, unless the indictment is found or the information is instituted within five years next after such offense shall have been committed.

There is a cut off limit of time, and it is 5 years from the date of the alleged offense.
Thank you for accepting my answer.