Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

I was convicted of a misdemenor in California nine years ago.

I was convicted of a misdemenor in California nine years ago. Will this show up on a criminal background check for employment in Texas?

DearCustomer- There is no way to know for certain exactly what records will be checked since these background checks are performed by private companies and it depends on the thoroughness of the investigation. If only Texas records are checked it probably will not show up but if national data base is used then it is likely it will be there.

Obviously you are running a risk if you lie on an application and then it appears since most employers will consider the lie to be worse than the offense itself, depending on the nature of the offense. The two most serious types of misdemeanors are generally theft and sex offenses. Things like trespass or underage drinking can usually be explained away as something done as a young person etc and really don't affect the character of an applicant.

Obviously it is your choice as to whether you want to reveal the offense on an application so you have to decide what risk you wish to take.

Dave Kennett