Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

how are educational and vocational programs ran in prison

Customer Question

how are educational and vocational programs ran in prison? Can you give me ideas on how to expand on how they inmates, staff, and educators are protected while these programs are being ran?
Thanks.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

inmates are screened. they are tested to see educational levels. they are then broken into small groups. some states allow the board of education to run the programs and other states have them run by DOC. at any rate, the instructors are protected the same way as any other visitor. they have correctional officers in the classrooms with them. i am not sure what you mean protecting the inmates and staff. inmates are searched daily and they are subject to random cell searches, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Samuel.

Thank you for answering my question... I am a senior at AIU and this was my assignment. I am searching delicately to find the answer I need.. I was sort of dumbfounded to as to how to go about explaining how 'inmates' are protected as well. Anyhoo.. I will go from there (your answer) in helping me. I am still sort of stumped. Do you know if the instructors under go certain training before entering a room with inmates? Are inmates also carefully selected as to their behavior patterns coupled with their educational possibilities as well? Thanks so much for your insight. :)

Kimberly

Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

instructors do not undergo any type of training. they volunteer for these assignments though they are still paid a salary through the board of ed - though no extra for "hazard" pay. they assume any risk.

the inmates are tested - you know they cannot be forced to get a GED but if they sign up to participate they get "credits" for it that can be applied toward an early release. so when they take it on they want to succeed. and if they misbehave those credits are taken back. so they usually see it through. actually many know that the GED is going to help them.

yes, they evaluate mental health issues - again, one cannot be made to take medication. so if they have a bi polar disorder and want to be in a GED class then they have to take the meds, too - otherwise, they will be place low on the list and may never get in.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you have helped me out so very much. Thank you for your wisdom, expertise and knowledge on this subject. I now have a much better understanding regarding my assignment.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

good. i wish there was more to tell you -but it is really cut and dry. keep in mind that these programs are given in medium to low security facilities. so the inmates are not violent offenders, etc. mostly drug offenders