Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.

A forged check was made out to my ex-wife, drawn on a bank

A forged check was made out to my ex-wife, drawn on a bank in Everett MA, from a company reportedly located in Everett MA and deposited in our joint checking account in Boston, MA.

The person who passed the check is known to my ex-wife (her boyfriend) and was apparently from a company which operates primarily in Pennsylvania - he owed her money and had the company make the checks out to her directly...

The checks were returned as forged and the money was reversed out of our joint account. My money was taken from my bank account to correct the balance.

My questions are:
1) Which police have jurisdiction over this crime?
2) What's the best way to proceed to get my money back (a bigger concern to me honestly than punishing the wrongdoer).
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your question.

1. Both MA and PA police have jurisdiction, as the fraud was committed in both places. Since the injury occured in MA, MA would have primary jurisdiction on the case.

2. Two ways--you can either demand that the bank track and trace the check, or you can bring suit for personal injury directly against the wrongdoer, since your money was effectively stolen by his actions.

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

Please click "accept" so I can be compensated for my assistance. Thank you!