How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A forged check was made out to my ex-wife, drawn on a bank

Resolved Question:

A forged check was made out to my ex-wife, drawn on a bank in Everett MA, from a company reportedly located in Everett MA and deposited in our joint checking account in Boston, MA.

The person who passed the check is known to my ex-wife (her boyfriend) and was apparently from a company which operates primarily in Pennsylvania - he owed her money and had the company make the checks out to her directly...

The checks were returned as forged and the money was reversed out of our joint account. My money was taken from my bank account to correct the balance.

My questions are:
1) Which police have jurisdiction over this crime?
2) What's the best way to proceed to get my money back (a bigger concern to me honestly than punishing the wrongdoer).
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for your question.

1. Both MA and PA police have jurisdiction, as the fraud was committed in both places. Since the injury occured in MA, MA would have primary jurisdiction on the case.

2. Two ways--you can either demand that the bank track and trace the check, or you can bring suit for personal injury directly against the wrongdoer, since your money was effectively stolen by his actions.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

Please click "accept" so I can be compensated for my assistance. Thank you!
Dimitry Esquire and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you