Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

What is the minimum sentence in Cook County for your fourth

Customer Question

What is the minimum sentence in Cook County for your fourth conviction of driving on revolked license. And during the sentence can you be ordered to house arrest. Also when the ofence had taken place and you were already convicted to the Cook County jail for 120 days for another traffic violation which was driving on revolked license, illleagal transportation of alcohol, and running a red light, can you get credit for those days when you are sentence for this traffic violation.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

What were the circumstances of your arrest? Did you get a DUI? Leave the scene of an accident? Or just random traffic stop?

Thanks,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was just a ramdom traffic stop, I was stopped for no headlights, so I was issued a ticket for no headlights, and driving while revolked.
What were your previous revocations for? And were the statutory suspension times lengthened?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I live in Chicago Il. Cook County and I go to court in the morning and I really need an answer today and if you can't help me what am I supposed to do, so I won't be wasting any more time. How can I ask anyone anything please reply and let me know. I never been through this before and I don't know what to do.
The minimum sentences depend on what the reasons were for your prior revocations.

If you don't know, I can give you a generic answer....

The generic answer is: you are looking at at least 100 hours of community service, non-issuance of another license for at least another year, and because it is a fourth offense, the court may order that you vehicle's license plates be seized or your vehicle be immobilized by a period specified by the Court.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so i may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That was so bogus of you and with an answer like that how can you call yourself a lawyer, I have better knowledge than you about my situation and I'm not even a lawyer hopefully I can have someone with better knowledge to help me or please send my refund so I can get some real help. Thank you

How was it bogus? I am trying to tell you that I NEED THE REASONS FOR YOUR PRIOR REVOCATIONS to determine what your current sentence will be, along with how long your suspensions were if there were any..... here is the statute that deals with your problem.....as you can see, the sentences are based off specific situations which you have not told me....

§ 6-303. Driving while driver's license, permit or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (a-5), any person who drives or is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle on any highway of this State at a time when such person's driver's license, permit or privilege to do so or the privilege to obtain a driver's license or permit is revoked or suspended as provided by this Code or the law of another state, except as may be specifically allowed by a judicial driving permit issued prior to January 1, 2009, monitoring device driving permit, family financial responsibility driving permit, probationary license to drive, or a restricted driving permit issued pursuant to this Code or under the law of another state, shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(a-5) Any person who violates this Section as provided in subsection (a) while his or her driver's license, permit or privilege is revoked because of a violation of Section 9-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961, relating to the offense of reckless homicide or a similar provision of a law of another state, is guilty of a Class 4 felony. The person shall be required to undergo a professional evaluation, as provided in Section 11-501 of this Code, to determine if an alcohol, drug, or intoxicating compound problem exists and the extent of the problem, and to undergo the imposition of treatment as appropriate.

(b) The Secretary of State upon receiving a report of the conviction of any violation indicating a person was operating a motor vehicle during the time when said person's driver's license, permit or privilege was suspended by the Secretary, by the appropriate authority of another state, or pursuant to Section 11-501.1; except as may be specifically allowed by a probationary license to drive, judicial driving permit issued prior to January 1, 2009, monitoring device driving permit, or restricted driving permit issued pursuant to this Code or the law of another state; shall extend the suspension for the same period of time as the originally imposed suspension; however, if the period of suspension has then expired, the Secretary shall be authorized to suspend said person's driving privileges for the same period of time as the originally imposed suspension.

(b-3) When the Secretary of State receives a report of a conviction of any violation indicating that a vehicle was operated during the time when the person's driver's license, permit or privilege was revoked, except as may be allowed by a restricted driving permit issued pursuant to this Code or the law of another state, the Secretary shall not issue a driver's license to that person for an additional period of one year from the date of such conviction.

(b-4) When the Secretary of State receives a report of a conviction of any violation indicating a person was operating a motor vehicle that was not equipped with an ignition interlock device during a time when the person was prohibited from operating a motor vehicle not equipped with such a device, the Secretary shall not issue a driver's license to that person for an additional period of one year from the date of the conviction.

(b-5) Any person convicted of violating this Section shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 30 consecutive days or 300 hours of community service when the person's driving privilege was revoked or suspended as a result of a violation of Section 9-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961, as amended, relating to the offense of reckless homicide, or a similar provision of a law of another state.

(c) Except as provided in subsections (c-3) and (c-4), any person convicted of violating this Section shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 10 consecutive days or 30 days of community service when the person's driving privilege was revoked or suspended as a result of:

(1) a violation of Section 11-501 of this Code or a similar provision of a local ordinance relating to the offense of operating or being in physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, any other drug or any combination thereof; or

(2) a violation of paragraph (b) of Section 11-401 of this Code or a similar provision of a local ordinance relating to the offense of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident involving personal injury or death; or

(3) a statutory summary suspension under Section 11-501.1 of this Code.

Such sentence of imprisonment or community service shall not be subject to suspension in order to reduce such sentence.

(c-1) Except as provided in subsections (c-5) and (d), any person convicted of a second violation of this Section shall be ordered by the court to serve a minimum of 100 hours of community service.

(c-2) In addition to other penalties imposed under this Section, the court may impose on any person convicted a fourth time of violating this Section any of the following:

(1) Seizure of the license plates of the person's vehicle.

(2) Immobilization of the person's vehicle for a period of time to be determined by the court.

(c-3) Any person convicted of a violation of this Section during a period of summary suspension imposed pursuant to § 11-501.1 when the person was eligible for a MDDP shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony and shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 30 days.

(c-4) Any person who has been issued a MDDP and who is convicted of a violation of this Section as a result of operating or being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle not equipped with an ignition interlock device at the time of the offense shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony and shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 30 days.

(c-5) Any person convicted of a second violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 2 felony, is not eligible for probation or conditional discharge, and shall serve a mandatory term of imprisonment, if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 9-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961, relating to the offense of reckless homicide, or a similar out-of-state offense.

(d) Any person convicted of a second violation of this Section shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony and shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 30 days or 300 hours of community service, as determined by the court, if the original revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 11-401 or 11-501 of this Code, or a similar out-of-state offense, or a similar provision of a local ordinance, or a statutory summary suspension under Section 11-501.1 of this Code.

(d-1) Except as provided in subsections (d-2), (d-2.5), and (d-3), any person convicted of a third or subsequent violation of this Section shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 30 days or 300 hours of community service, as determined by the court.

(d-2) Any person convicted of a third violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 4 felony and must serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 30 days if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 11-401 or 11-501 of this Code, or a similar out-of-state offense, or a similar provision of a local ordinance, or a statutory summary suspension under Section 11-501.1 of this Code.

(d-2.5) Any person convicted of a third violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 1 felony, is not eligible for probation or conditional discharge, and must serve a mandatory term of imprisonment if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 9-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961, relating to the offense of reckless homicide, or a similar out-of-state offense.

(d-3) Any person convicted of a fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, or ninth violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 4 felony and must serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 180 days if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 11-401 or 11-501 of this Code, or a similar out-of-state offense, or a similar provision of a local ordinance, or a statutory summary suspension under Section 11-501.1 of this Code.

(d-3.5) Any person convicted of a fourth or subsequent violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 1 felony, is not eligible for probation or conditional discharge, and must serve a mandatory term of imprisonment, and is eligible for an extended term, if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 9-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961, relating to the offense of reckless homicide, or a similar out-of-state offense.

(d-4) Any person convicted of a tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, or fourteenth violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 3 felony, and is not eligible for probation or conditional discharge, if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 11-401 or 11-501 of this Code, or a similar out-of-state offense, or a similar provision of a local ordinance, or a statutory summary suspension under Section 11-501.1 of this Code.

(d-5) Any person convicted of a fifteenth or subsequent violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 2 felony, and is not eligible for probation or conditional discharge, if the revocation or suspension was for a violation of Section 11-401 or 11-501 of this Code, or a similar out-of-state offense, or a similar provision of a local ordinance, or a statutory summary suspension under Section 11-501.1 of this Code.

(e) Any person in violation of this Section who is also in violation of Section 7-601 of this Code relating to mandatory insurance requirements, in addition to other penalties imposed under this Section, shall have his or her motor vehicle immediately impounded by the arresting law enforcement officer. The motor vehicle may be released to any licensed driver upon a showing of proof of insurance for the vehicle that was impounded and the notarized written consent for the release by the vehicle owner.

(f) For any prosecution under this Section, a certified copy of the driving abstract of the defendant shall be admitted as proof of any prior conviction.

(g) The motor vehicle used in a violation of this Section is subject to seizure and forfeiture as provided in Sections 36-1 and 36-2 of the Criminal Code of 1961 if the person's driving privilege was revoked or suspended as a result of a violation listed in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (c) of this Section, as a result of a summary suspension as provided in paragraph (3) of subsection (c) of this Section, or as a result of a violation of Section 9-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961 relating to the offense of reckless homicide.

You are looking at community service, not being able to get a license for at least a year, and then the remaining two punishments are discretiionary in losing your license plates and getting your vehicle taken.....

I can't be any clearer....

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like another person to help me, Please
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.