CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I got a ticket for an illegal turn in a 4pm to 6pm zone. (didnt

I got a ticket for an illegal turn in a 4pm to 6pm zone. (didn't see the sign)The fine is $234. What is the best way to approach this case when I appear in the walk in court, in terms of beatng it or getting the fine reduced? The notice from the court says I am not eligible for a traffic course.
Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
When your case is called you can try and resolve the case without going to trial. You can ask the Judge or Hearing Officer, if you could have an offer to resolve the case and see what they are willing to do. Often, the fine will be less before trial then after trial. If you do not get a good offer or want to try and fight this, you can set the case for trial and see if the officer who issued you the citation appears in court, remembers the incident and can identify you as the driver of the vehicle. If he can not do those things, the case should be dismissed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I first plead guilty and then ask for an offer, or just ask for the offer period.

Also, if I pleaded not guity, in your view, what is the probability that the officer would not show up.(this happened in Berkeley CA). If I went this route and was found guilty then you're saying I might not get the same relief as in the first case? Also, why is this not eligible for traffic school, so now would my insurance go up?

You would first ask for the offer and then if it is acceptable to you, then change your plea. There is a better chance of the officer showing up then not showing up. If the officer is not a traffic cop who writes a lot of citations, then he may not show. However, if he issues a lot of citations and is in that spot all the time, he will show. If you have taken traffic school within the past year, you would not be eligible for it.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Do you have any other questions?