socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

earlier I askd a question about my refusal to take a polygraph

earlier I askd a question about my refusal to take a polygraph test and got the response i needed.....the detective became hostile towards me when i told him i did not trust those machines..There is no direct evidence at all to connect me with the crime that happened as i am innocent . I have given statements both written and recorded.. My final question is this. Since there is no evidence, are the investigators allowed to pry into my personal life by looking at my bank accounts, phone records, tax returns, etc? Do I have to keep going in for questioning or can I tell them to leave me alone now as it has been a month since the ivestigation aws started?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

You have an absolute right to remain silent when interrogated by law enforcement. You cannot misrepresent the truth (lie), or claim that you know nothing, when you do. But, you can politely explain that you understand their desire to investigate, but that you have nothing further to say.

Of course, they can arrest you and charge you with a crime, and then interrogate you until the cows come home. But, you can still refuse to answer. That's your constitutional right.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can they look into my personal business such as bank accounts, phone records, without eveidence that i was involved with a crime?
A person has no protected privacy interest in records held by a bank or telephone company. U.S. v Miller (1976) 425 US 435 So, yes, law enforcement can look into your personal business.