JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My daughter, age 21, recently made a bad decision and committed

My daughter, age 21, recently made a bad decision and committed retail fraud (<$50). A friend, who used to be a prosecutor for another county in Michigan, recommended that she plead not guilty. There is the possibility of a diversion program. She has a pre-trial appt. next week. Now we are at a loss of what to do. Should we engage the services of a lawyer for her or is this something that she can do on her own? What should she expect from this pre-trial?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

At the pre-trial, your daughter will have a chance to meet with the prosecutor or city attorney one-on-one to see if the case can be resolved. It is at that time that she'll learn if the prosecutor will offer her a chance for the diversion.

If the offer is made, your daughter can accept it and the case will be processed.

If the prosecutor won't offer any plea deals, then your daughter can inform them that she'd like an adjournment so that she can hire her own attorney. The case will be adjourned and then you can hire a private attorney to pick up the ball.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!