RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
8534270

My brother was arrested in July 04, 2007 in Florida for DUI.

Customer Question

My brother was arrested in July 04, 2007 in Florida for DUI. It's his second DUI. He rejected the breathe test also. His license is suspended for 5 years with a chance of a hardship license. He will soon get a hardship license in a few months but he will move with me to Alabama. Alabama does not do hardship license. I know Alabama laws are different regarding DUI. Is there a chance my brother can reinstate his license in Alabama since he is qualified for a hardship license in a few month. And I believe Alabama DUI laws are not as strict as Florida.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Sorry there is reciprocity here between states.

The Interstate Driver's License Compact (IDLC) is an agreement between 45 participating states for the sharing of information regarding certain types of convictions, including most DUI related convictions, between the participating states.

Under the Compact, when a resident of one state is convicted of a DUI related offense in another state, the driver's home state will be notified. The type of action, if any, the driver's home state will take will vary from state to state.

The National Driver Register (NDR) is a central repository of information on individuals whose privilege to drive has been revoked, suspended, canceled or denied or who have been convicted of serious traffic-related offenses. All 50 States and the District of Columbia participate in the NDR.

The records maintained at the NDR consist of identification information including name, date of birth, gender, driver license number and reporting State. All of the substantive information, the reason for the suspension or conviction and associated dates, resides in the reporting State.

Driver licensing officials query the NDR to determine if an individual's license or privilege has been withdrawn by any other State. Whenever a person applies for a new license or seeks to have his or her license renewed, the application will be denied if there is an out-of-state suspension.so they will uphold the exsiting suspension here for the duration that he was suspensed in Florida.If he can get hardship license he might be better off in Florida.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But with the help of an attorney he may be able to apply for a restricted license to allow him to drive to and from work in Alabama right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But with the help of an attorney he may be able to apply for a restricted license to allow him to drive to and from work in Alabama right??
Yes he can apply for hardship in Florida here.Definitely wants to try for one.