Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience

The police had an arrest warrant for my son over a complaint

Customer Question

The police had an arrest warrant for my son over a complaint from a neighbor. My son was afraid and would not open the door. He hid in the bathroom, calling the local police for help. The sheriff's department with a canine unit, broke down three doors to arrest him. He was attacked by the dog, tased, then taken by ambulance to the hospital. Then taken to the local jail.He is now being charged with two felonies from this encounter. He has been in jail (his first offense) for 30 days as the bail is so high. Is there a time when the police just go too far. This warrant was only six weeks after the incident with the neighbor where my son apparently threatened the neighbor while he was behind a closed, locked door.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
First Im sorry to hear about your problem. Bail is set based upon many factors and unfortunately two of those factors are the probability that the defendant will return to court and possible hard to society if released. Your son showed the judge that he would most likely not appear in court and his prior mental issues may have lead to the threats which can endanger society. If you are not happy with his current attorney then you can retain an attorney to represent him but the new attorney may generate a similar result. Public Defenders can be good lawyers and often just as good as a retained attorney.