Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

Actually my question is if is legal to release personal information

Customer Question

Actually my question is if is legal to release personal information like that my son was stop and got ticket for possesion of marijuana to another people that are not related. They release those information to one of my other son friend and this is how I found out about this ticket.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 6 years ago.

Arrest and court records are a matter of public record so the officer is not restricted from sharing that information with anyone.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
even that he is a minor?
Sorry, you didn't mention that he was a juvenile here. Usually, while arrest records and police reports are accessible to the general public, when a request is made where a juvenile is involved they will usually redact the juvenile's identifying information before making it public. You can file a complaint with the officer's supervisor for disclosing the information, but it is unlikely that you will get any other kind of relief for that information being disclosed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes I mention that at the beginning of my question. What makes me mad is that police didn't inform me that my minor son was cited and instead they stoped one of my other son friend and they disclose those information to him and this is ho I found out about that. They were even seeking personal information about me.
I just noticed you have a separate question open. I was not involved in your other question so I didn't get the earlier information. The officer doesn't have to inform you of a citation that was given to a minor. The only time the police are obligated to inform you is if they had arrested him.